Friday, May 7, 2010

Keeping Work Flowing in Haiti

Although very busy with patient care, I spent what free moment I had this morning getting the office ready for hand off to the person that will take over my position. Over the past week or so, I have been making sure all important information that includes phone numbers for contact persons, office flow guidelines and file organization etc. are readily available for the appropriate people to have access to.

I also had the unfortunate task of informing one of the potential candidates I interviewed that he did not have the qualifications necessary to take over the case manager position. This therefore meant that I could not hire him. Easy it was, but also very difficult at the same time. As I looked at him and saw the sadness and disappointment on his face, I too became very sad. Not the way I wanted to start my day.

Just about everyone in Haiti needs a job, so whenever the opportunity arises no matter how small, one latches on and tries with all might to hold on and not let go. Every opportunity is a potential job. Every “come and shadow me for the day” is a potential “I have a job.” Every nod is a potential, “I have a job” and a sure means to make some money and provide for one's self and one's family. For me to take this opportunity away, no matter how small, is heartbreaking.

As saddened as I was about not being able to hire any of the individuals that sought after the case manager position, I was elated to find out that my roommate Gozde was able to hire about 250 Haitian in her work for pay program. This is such an exciting moment for her and her team as so many hours of hard work and determination had brought them to this point. This is also exciting times for the people of Deschapelles. Although all that are in need of a job will not receive one, still many will. This is definitely a move in the right direction.

Thanks for reading-Project HOPE volunteer Joy Williams

Photo by Allison Shelley

Help support Project HOPE's long-term efforts to help the people of Haiti. DONATE NOW

No comments:

Post a Comment