Monday, October 25, 2010

Volunteers continue work in Guyana

It was a warm and humid day as Project HOPE volunteers in Guyana made their way to the first medical zone on Thursday morning. Rain limited the amount of medical staff to man the zone the day before so many people that were left waiting arrived again. The bleachers in the field were full of people waiting to have various ailments checked out by the doctors.

"We have a good patient flow; we have a good triage going on outside. The local volunteers are assisting us with [triage] and we have a lot of providers here today so the value is high,” said Colonel Brown, site leader for med site one. “That's our goal, to see as many patients as possible and help as many as we can."

The project hope team worked well among different agencies and was able to help out many different patients.

"I come because I didn't feel too well with my throat and my shoulders, so I just wanted to get it check out here," said Swersetie Insataeny, one of the patients at medical zone one. "I feel so happy but I do not know what will happen tomorrow or when I have to go to the next medical visit."

"I was pleasantly surprised when I got there. I wasn't sure what I was getting into,” said Project HOPE volunteer Ruth Hart. “As soon as the first patient sat down, I was just the regular doctor that I always am, so it didn't matter if I was in Guyana verses being in the United States in the emergency room that I've been in for 27 years. Once the patient expressed their need or concern I realized how much of an effort they made to be here."

As the first day wrapped up for many on the Project HOPE team, many were looking forward to getting back out there to help out more people.

Photos and story by Kris Radder, HOPE's Volunteer Public Affairs Officer

No comments:

Post a Comment