Friday, October 29, 2010

Reflecting on Work in Guyana

As Project HOPE volunteers begin work in Suriname today, Dr. Steven Saris reflects on his time in Guyana.

Dr. Steven Saris has worked as an internist and primary care medicine physician for 25 years. He recently closed his private practice in order to have more time to work with people in need around the world.

"I have been interested in working with Project HOPE since I was a child," he says. " I remember seeing advertisements on TV about the SS HOPE traveling around the world to care for those in need and seeing the doctors taking care of patients port side," says Dr. Saris. "I always thought that was fascinating and when I got my medical degree that I always hoped that I could do this."

In Guyana, Dr. Saris experienced the inspiration of working alongside doctors from many different areas while caring for patients at the onshore clinics.

"Guyana is a beautiful country, the people were wonderful, they were very thankful of what we had to offer," says Dr. Saris. "The people I worked with, the volunteers were brilliant."

Dr. Saris was also impressed with the people of Guyana. "They were very interested in their health and they wanted to know the proper medical care to relieve their ailments."

He also worked with some of the local medical professionals. "There was a doctor from the town that we were in that came to the clinic everyday to volunteer his time," Dr. Saris said. "He was a great resource for when I had questions about how things are done in Guyana."

Photos and story by Kris Radder, HOPE's Volunteer Public Affairs Officer

Help Support Project HOPE's Humanitarian, Health Education and Volunteer Programs Around the Globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment