Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Farewell to Panama

My two weeks with Project HOPE volunteers onboard the USNS Comfort is coming to a close. It’s been such a privilege to spend time with these inspiring professionals who leave behind their comfortable world for months at a time to offer health care and health education to those with so little. In such a short time, I’ve met new lifelong friends, reconnected with volunteers I have worked with in the past, experienced different cultures and learned a bit about life in the Navy. But most of all, I rekindled my spirit and enthusiasm for the work we do at Project HOPE. In a world where it sometimes seems like there is more wrong than right, our volunteers show everyday that a little care, a bit of compassion and an offer of HOPE goes a long way.

I would especially like to thank Paul Kline, a documentary photographer who accompanied me on this segment of Continuing Promise 2009. A true humanitarian with a sincere concern for others, especially children, Paul not only donated his time and amazing talent, he is donating to Project HOPE all the photos he took of our volunteers at work in Panama.

There are so many more stories to tell. Thankfully, Daniel Feith joined our group late last week, and he will be blogging about our volunteers as they continue their work. (I may sneak in a few more stories myself.) Former speechwriter for Condoleezza Rice and John Negroponte, Daniel is excited to be documenting the work of Project HOPE volunteers.
As always, thanks for reading.

-Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment